There will be a surprise!

There will be a surprise when you get home,
the note in the lunchbox said.
A smile curved my lips.
Wait till you see your surprise!
my cellphone pinged.
A delighted laugh escaped me.
Surprise!
Read the email’s subject.
Anticipation grew.
My smile widened.
He remembered, dear heart. 
For once he remembered, 
our anniversary.
Drive home.
Mind spinning.
Flowers? Jewellery? Intimacy?
A vacation?
A romantic trip?
What did he plan?
What could it be?
Then, finally, I see,
the huge banner
hanging from the roof of
Our home:
SURPRISE!
I grinned,
Stepped across the threshold,
Froze.
The house was empty.
Everything gone.
Everything but the lonely banner,
Snapping in the wind.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting anew.

On divorce.

I've discovered my spirituality.