Home

Monday, 26 May 2014

Outlining.

I'm a planner. Everything I do must be planned in advance. Like, seriously.

I've refused outings with friends who would call at the last minute because I hadn't planned the outing and everything it entailed. Even if I was doing absolutely nothing, I refused to go. Yes. I'm serious.

To add to that wonderful quality of mine, I'm a control freak. EVERYTHING I plan must go as planned or I freak. Like, seriously. I hate changing my plans. I have anxiety issues that surface when things go awry.

That being - admitted- it's always boggled me that I don't outline my novels. Never. I've tried, but I just can't. I mean, how can I write a story that hasn't been told to me by my characters yet? THEY are the ones who tell the tale; I just write it.

But being the planner/control freak that I am, how can I not outline? Not detail every plot and storyline?

Last book I wrote was . . . 4 years ago? I've written 4 in total, and not one of them was planned. They just  . . . happened. But I've always felt they were lacking. I write, but I can't see what's happening. Can't picture it in my head. The words spill out but some don't make sense. For so long I was terrified that I would be published and people would ask me about my book and I wouldn't have answers. Because my world wasn't clear to me. Because it wasn't detailed. Planned.

And every single book I've tried writing since has failed. Because I'm floundering, don't know where I'm going, what my stories are about, who my characters are. And for once, that matters to me.

So. I think I'll give outlining a try. Wish me luck.

Like, seriously.

5 comments:

  1. Hope it goes well! I used to be such a pantser, as I thought that planning took all the joy of discovery out of writing. Now I plan like crazy, lol. So I hope you find your happy medium between pantsing and planning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just have to figure out HOW I can do this. But I am so relieved that I'm not the only one feeling this way! Thank you <3

      Delete
  2. You know where to find me if you need idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like, seriously...

      Delete
    2. Dork. I love you.
      Like, seriously.

      Delete

Public Spaces part two

It doesn't matter that no one reads me. Because you do. It doesn't matter no one understands me. Because you do. Somehow, This ...