Home

Sunday, 18 September 2011

Don't know who they are.

Sad, but true.

I don't know who my characters are anymore. They used to be so alive for me, so real! I wrote the whole novel in a breeze while I worked night shift. I was so giddy, so excited. I would speak to them all the time, and I would swear I hear their answers.

Then I finished the novel, and the editing began. I got my story read my several good beta readers who really helped me out by pointing out the good and bad. What needed work, what would help to make the story my own, more real, more authentic. I was giddy at the prospect of restarting....and I wasn't. I mean, I've written four novels, and this is the one my readers loved the most. I was terrifying of touching it, of making it worse. Even though I knew what could make it better.

I still have not edited it. I've made it to....seven chapters? I think. And it took everything out of me to take it this far. Now, this morning, I'm writing a little and I realise that my characters don't speak to me anymore. I don't know who they are. Don't know what they want, and I don't know how to get that spark back.

I've tried dropping it for a while. I've also tried writing something else. But I think my creativity went missing because I'm not very successful at writing something else, either.

Has this happened to any of you? What have you done to get out of this stump?

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're in quite the pickle... To help me answer this question,allow me to introduce Corliss (my favorite insane heroic character ever) and Shue (formerly an antagonistic lackey, now spreading his own wings and stepping into leadership roles).

    So, guys, I know we haven't talked in a while, but maybe you could help Tanya here figure out how to get in touch with her characters?

    Shue: *eyes suspiciously* I'm a bit busy at the moment, but alright.

    Corliss: *giggles uncontrollably* That's EASY. She just has to do OOOOooone thing.

    Shue: >8|

    Corliss: ^^

    ... And that thing is?

    Shue: Talk to them, of course.

    Corliss: Why, SHU-by! I didn't know you spoke insane. XD

    Shue: *shrugs* After spending time with Azer, I guess I'm pretty fluent.

    Well. There you have it. Try conversing with your characters (or have two very different characters, from very different novels, talk to each other). You'd be surprised at the things that pop up. :) (FYI, I'll probably do my own blog post about something like this later. XD)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Silent, your characters are . . . insane lol

    But they seem to be pretty interesting so I'll take their advice under consideration.

    Looking forward to reading that post of yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Literally insane, in Corliss' case. XD

    ReplyDelete
  4. This has happened to me A LOT! Don't worry. I only got to know my characters again after A YEAR! D:

    ReplyDelete

Public Spaces part two

It doesn't matter that no one reads me. Because you do. It doesn't matter no one understands me. Because you do. Somehow, This ...