Sequels.

What are your thoughts on them, as a writer, I mean?

Do you plan in advance on writing more than one at a time, or as the story develops, you realise that your characters just don't fit into one book?

I guess it depends on whether you outline your novels, or wing it, like I do. I usually realise halfway through that I still have so much to say, and it doesn't fit into one book.

But what if you outline? And you get to the ending, and without intending to, you finish it off with a perfect beginning/plot to your next book. How do you go about it? Do you start outlining right away, while the characters are still fresh in your mind? Do you give it a break, give your brain time to think up a new plot, new twists?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on it!

Tanya

Comments

  1. HI, Tanya!! You know my take on it girlie. Nine times out of ten I only jot down notes when i get ideas and then I let the story unfold on its own. More like winging it I guess. A few years back I tried the whole 'perfectly outlined scenario' it just didn't work for me. I didn't feel as if my characters or story had room to grow. So I take off the reins and let it do its own thing! And you know I love your work, Tanya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I posted a link to your blog on my site. x <3 x <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't outline, persay...

    But usually a few chapters into the first book the ideas start to flow. I start making notes in the margins, speculating on another page, and then before I know it I've got four or five books more or less planned out.

    Sometimes they're from plot lines that stretch forward into the future, and other times I love a side character so much that I just have to tell their story. It can be fun, and it can be overwhelming.

    But mostly fun. :)

    Coincidentally, I'm writing the sequel to one of my books this month. XD It's not good, but it's on paper! So, I'm happy. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Starting anew.

On divorce.

I've discovered my spirituality.